Monday, November 7, 2011

Magical Monday #1


Happy Magical Monday Everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Cody and I had a great weekend. As most of you know, I started my diet and fitness plan on Saturday. Saturday morning Cody took Samhain to the vet for his next shot. I rolled out my Yoga mat and spent the next hour in my Yoga Trance. I love Yoga, and I have missed it dearly the last few weeks. It felt like heaven to be stretching again. I always wear a heart rate monitor during my fitness routines which I highly recommend because it allows you to know the amount of calories burned based on your weight/height/age. I love mine and I don't go anywhere without it! It really has helped me push myself to new levels. When Cody got home I made us breakfast, my new favorite recipe garlic bagels! Yum! I try to eat a lot of garlic during the cold/flu season to prevent myself from getting sick. Then I sat down and wrote out my grocery list and planned my meals for the next week. This is a tip I suggest to everyone who wants to start eating healthier! It helps a lot to know ahead of time what meals you have planned out for the week. It allows you not to make excuses. 

After our trip to the grocery store we headed out to the beach to watch the sunset. We have a beach trail which spans a few miles wide and Cody and I walked the whole thing and watched the sunset together, it was beautiful! Plus I burned 600 something calories so I can't complain about that either. It was a beautiful sunset and I was so happy to be enjoying it with my husband. After our walk I made a new recipe called Apple Cranberry Salad! I am going for Fall themes this week to celebrate the season! It was amazing! On Sunday we woke up and had breakfast and then headed straight to the beach. Cody wanted to surf and I wanted to go for a jog along the beach trail. It started raining while I was on my jog, and it felt so amazing. I love rain. It was so purifying to be jogging in the rain. I headed back to where Cody was surfing which was the pier in San Clemente, I jogged along the pier and tried to get his attention while he was out in the water. He finally saw me and when he got out of the water he said "You look so happy, you have the biggest smile on your face." What can I say, I love rain. Honestly, I shed a couple tears while the rain gently hit my face, it was like the Goddess was purifying me of all of the pain and hurt this past year telling me "Start anew my child." I felt so at peace with the world and with myself. 

We headed back up the hill to make lunch. It was Sunday so it was a football day in our home. I always try to make something special for Cody on Sunday's during the game. I made him healthy onion rings with queso dip! They were so delicious and the best part...they were guilt free! I got some chores done that I needed to do around the house and by the time I knew it, it was dinner time. I made another salad for dinner. I like to plan my Salad's for the beginning of the week so the lettuce and produce stays fresh. I made us a new recipe called Special Spinach Salad. It was so delicious! We both finished our bowls! 

This morning was the start of Cody's new schedule which means he went to work at 6AM. I got up at 5AM with him and started my Yoga DVD. I lit some of my favorite oil in my oil burner and at first my body was stiff since it was so early in the morning. By the third sun salutation my body was warming up and thanking me for coming to my practice today. I feel so energized and my body feels amazing this morning. I also had time to make myself a bagel for breakfast. I feel as if all of those heart openers in Yoga did not only do so physically. I am feeling so positive and full of love today!

So tonight, I am planning on hitting the beach trail again. Then I will be making us a healthy version of baked mac and cheese! One of my favorite Fall comfort foods...made guilt free! We both enjoy cooking and spending time together outside so this new plan is working out great! I feel fantastic. My body is sore, but in a good way if you know what I mean. I am going to try to fit in 3 strength train routines this week as well. I am a cardio girl, so I will be doing some form of cardio everyday as well as my Yoga in the mornings! What have you done to encourage healthy habits this weekend?

I also want to tell you guys about a calorie counting app called Fitness Pal. I have it on my smartphone and it works great for keeping yourself accountable! You track your food for the day and for each meal. It also allows you to keep track of your water intake! It also allows you to track your fitness! It's a great app and it helps you to stay accountable. If you don't have a smartphone, you could always use a cute journal to write down your eating and fitness routine!

 Garlic Bagel Recipe!
 
1 Bagel Thin
1 Tbsp. Light Cream Cheese
1 clove chopped garlic
Pinch of salt
Garlic Powder
Pam Cooking Spray
Directions:
Chop garlic clove. Spray a small skillet with Pam or non stick cooking spray. Heat garlic on Medium heat on the stove until it is browned and crispy. Toast Bagel and top with cream cheese. Sprinkle garlic powder and a pinch of salt on top, then add garlic! So delicious!! 

 Apple Cranberry Salad Recipe (Makes 2 servings)

1/8 Cup Fat Free Mayonnaise
1/8 Cup Fat Free Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Apples (1 Red, 1 Green)
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1/8 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Stalk Celery
6 Lettuce Leaves 

Directions:
Mix Mayo, sour cream and sugar in a medium bowl. Sir in all remaining ingredients expect lettuce. Chill in fridge for 2 hours. Serve over lettuce. Such a festive Fall Salad!
 
 This is what 1 portion of the apple cranberry salad looks like. Apples are packed full with fiber so this salad gets you full.

 Hungry Girl's Spicy Onion Rings with Queso Dip

(Onion Rings)
1 large onion
1/2 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
1 oz. (about 15) low-fat baked tortilla chips (like Guiltless Gourmet)
1 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
(Queso Dip)
1/2 cup salsa (not too chunky)
2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets (or 1 extra-large sheet) by spraying with nonstick spray; set aside.
Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-wide slices, and separate into about 24 rings. Set aside.
Place cereal, chips, and taco seasoning in a blender or food processor. Grind contents to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Transfer crumbs to a plate and set aside.
Fill a small bowl with egg substitute. One at a time, dunk each ring in egg substitute, give it a shake to remove any excess, and then coat it in the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on the baking sheet(s).
Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, carefully flipping rings over about halfway through.
Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine salsa with cheese wedges, breaking cheese wedges into pieces as you add them. Stir well. Microwave for 45 - 60 seconds, until hot. Thoroughly stir until uniform.
Serve rings with sauce for dunking -- YUM!
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
 
 This is my pre-workout snack this week! Trader Joe's Organic Hummus with 16 Wheat Thin Crackers!

 Rainy Sunday at the beach before my jog! 

Cody with his surfboard this Sunday. 

 Special Spinach Salad Recipe! (Makes 2 servings)

1pkg. baby spinach leaves  
3/4 cup pomegrante seeds
1/4 Cup Fat Free Feta Cheese
2 Slices Turkey Bacon
3 Green Onions
Balsamic Vinegar 

Directions:
Cook Bacon and crumble it. Toss Spinach with all reaming ingredients except dressing in large bowl. Add dressings just before serving and mix lightly. 

 This is my favorite Yoga DVD for the AM. I am more at an advanced Yoga level after practicing for 5 years but in the morning my body is stiff and this is the perfect DVD for that, slow and mellow. 

Beach Trail on Saturday sunset walk!
This was lunch on Saturday. Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup from Trader Joes. 2 Slices of Weight Watchers Bread with 2 Slices Fat Free American Cheese. Pretzels Crisps! So delicious and satisfying for a Fall lunch.
 Sunset on Saturday! So beautiful!
 I try to have a cup of green tea a day! It is packed full of antioxidants and is extremely good for you. This is my favorite! So yummy. It's a perfect pick me up.
 Are you a coffee lover like me? On the weekends when I have the time, I like to take a cup of coffee and let it chill in the fridge. Then I add 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and ice and blend in my blender until frothy! So delicious and guilt free!


My Goals This Week:
1) Drink half my body weight in water everyday!
2) Stick Within my Calorie Goal for the day!
3) One cup of Green Tea a day!
4) Yoga in the AM before work!
5) Cardio in the evening's after work!
6) Take my Vitamins everyday! 
7) Blog 5x this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment